Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Logan's Birth

This was his sad little home for the last week. I hate these lights!
At one week old. He has some serious sideburns

Since I use this as our family journal I thought I better write about Logan's birth. Its probably alot of boring info, so don't feel obligated to read it. First I need to clarify that I was induced with both Jackson and Emerson and had an epidural the minute I felt anything with both of them so i did not know what labor felt like. I learned alot the night of Logan's birth, but one thing I definitely learned was to listen to my sister! I had been having contractions for a couple of weeks, nothing serious but there were pretty consistent. The week before I delivered I was admitted into Labor and Delivery and I was given several tests that showed that I would NOT deliver for the next two weeks. The doctor reassured me that the tests were accurate. I also had not dilated or dropped. I felt pretty good about it and so went home and continued my daily activities. Because I am diabetic I have Non Stress Tests twice a week and had one the day Logan was born. I went to my appointment and everything looked good so they sent me home. About three that afternoon I started having pain in my lower stomach. This was definitely a new feeling for me. They weren't strong or consistent. I laid down for awhile and they seemed to ease up. They continued for the next several hours, but nothing serious. Around 7:00pm I started feeling them pretty strong. Jason had a meeting with the Stake President so I thought I better go and so we went. On the way home I was in some serious pain, but I wasn't sure if I was actually in labor or just have more Braxton Hicks. I tried to measure them and I thought they had to be in a certain amount of minutes apart, and mine were not. I tried looking in the "What to Expect book", but that didn't help either. I thought for sure since I had the tests done and since my doctor assured me that I would not have me baby, that I could not be in Labor. My sister assured my otherwise. She kept calling and telling my that I needed to go to the hospital. I tried calling my doctor but hadn't heard from him. Around 8:30 with some convincing of my sister I finally called my mom and told her to come over and that I better go to Provo and have it checked out. On the way to the hospital, I was in some serious pain. I finally became convinced that I was in labor. We got to the hospital around 9:30 and the nurse checked me and I was dilated to a 7. My doctor happened to be at the hospital and came in and when he checked me I was fully dilated and ready to go. I pushed 3 times and at 10:30 Logan was born.
I am so thankful for so many things. I am thankful for a sister who harassed me until I went to the hospital. I am thankful that the baby waited until I got there to make his arrival. I don't think my mom or Jason were up to the task of an at home birth. I am VERY thankful for an anesthesiologist who was in the room next door and was able to give me an epidural. I am thankful for parents who watch and take care of my kids. I am most thankful that Logan is so healthy for being so early. He is such a good and easy baby. He was able to come home with us from the hospital. He has been under billi rubin lights at home, other than that he is doing great, and he is an awesome eater. Something these two were not!